Sunday 17 March 2013

The 2nd Craziest Thing I Have Ever Done


                               #2  Extreme GT sledding

                This one is really silly and very dangerous. So please don't try this!

     Before my twenties my friends and I were bored and starved of  fun. We were tired of driving around town in my old pickup night after night.  It was winter time and there wasn't much to do.  That night my friends Brad, Jason and I decided to make our own fun, we grabbed 3 GT snow racers and some (not very safe) rope and headed out to a distant quiet back road. Little did we know how crazy this idea would be.

     When we made it to our desired location, we were gitty with anticipation and my stomach was in knots from nerves. All  of us knew this was a bit on the crazy side and one bit of bad luck could end all of our fun. So we carefully tied two of the GT's to the bumper and tested it out slowly at first pulling them over snowy gravel. Seemed ok to us!

    Thumbs up! Green light! The next run increased in speed, you could hear the guys hooting and hollering.  The odd spark would fly off the sleds. Then Bam! Brad was off the sled I seen him tumbling across the road in my mirror so I stopped as safely and as quickly as possible. When I got out of the truck Brad was upright and appeared to be ok. He was smiling ear to ear "Let's do that again!!" he said.  I was relieved that he wasn't hurt but I could barely stop laughing because all I could picture in my mind was his him rolling across the road. Still to this day in my mind very funny

     The next run I gently made my way up to a good speed. The radio was turned down so I could hear the guys yell. I could hear them just fine. They were having a blast. I was feeling a little nervous so I slowed down. They  weren't scared one bit, you could tell the guys were having fun from their girl like screams and manly hoots. They felt comfortable going that speed. 

     During the next turnaround, we spotted 2 snowmobiles approaching us."It's gotta be the cops!" I thought. Time to turn on the "Williams charm." As they slowed down we realized they were just normal people. They slowed down to talk to us.  Turned out these two guys recognised us from school and stopped to chat. After a few minutes of talking they had found out what was going on and of course they wanted to join the craziness. 

           What is it about a man or boy that makes them want to do stupid fun things?

      So we got them saddled up for the ride. Brad and our 2 new riders were ready to rock. It was our first time doing the three wide setup. Jay was sitting up with me watching the guys out the back keeping me updated. They yelled up to me "I wanna go fast!” I yelled back. "OK! Hold on to your hats!". Brad should have listened, I hit the gas and we were off. Slowly climbing in speed 25 35k. Sparks started to shoot off the sleds like Clark Griswold in Christmas Vacation we reached 45 55 60k. All of a sudden Jay yells "Brad lost his hat!!" knowing there was little I could do for his hat I punched it one last bit to 70k I could hear those guys loving every second. We were all laughing. 

                                                         It kind of went like this

      I started to slow down for the sign ahead. When out of nowhere this truck turns the corner. The guy in the truck is staring right at us, then we all heard a crunch and the truck slammed on the breaks and the driver looked pretty mad.  See what had happened was the three guys on the GTs bailed in to the ditch sending the 3 sleds forward and one sled went right into and then under this persons Truck!

   BUSTED! Boy did I ever feel guilty then. I hopped out quick and got the sled out from under the truck and I apologized to the man. He advised us to leave the area and drove off. Everyone was still hiding in the ditch waiting for the all clear. I yelled "guys you can come out now! Wussies!" They all slowly poked their heads out and made their way out of the ditch. Everyone was safe and still smiling so we called it quits.

   Would I ever do this again? No.  This may have been fun. But it could have ended a lot worse. I mark it down as #2 on this  list. #1 on the list of stupidest things I have done.

What are some crazy things you have done that you won't do again?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment