Friday 29 August 2014

Packing for a Weekend Canoe/Camping Trip

A post by Ed Arsenault.

I am back with another article on how to pack up for your upcoming adventure. If you haven’t already, be sure to check out my original article on packing up a carry-on suitcase for an all-inclusive trip.

The theme of today’s packing tutorial will be based on our annual Man of the Year camping trip. This trip sees us gentlemen off to the beautiful French River, Ontario region where we canoe out to our island and set up camp for two nights. This is by no means a survival trip or a survival packing tutorial as we still take many luxuries. This is a tutorial to help you pack less while still having some luxuries on a fun manly excursion into the woods for a day or two. With that said, I present to you my how-to pack guide for a not-so-serious weekend camping/canoeing trip.

Everything I would need for this weekend camping trip.

All needed camping gear

Pictured Above:

Clothing:
1 pair of swim shorts
1 pair of shorts
3 pairs of underwear
2 pairs of socks
1 pair of sweat pants
1 sweater
3 shirts

Accessories:
55L backpack
Fishing kit (reduced to have three spinners, bait, one lure, spare hooks and parts, gloves and a knife)
Fishing rod
Single sleeper tent
Heavy duty tent stakes
Sleeping bag
Sleeping pad
15L compression sack
PFD
Water shoes
Fillet knife
Utility knife
Flashlight
Bungee cord

Not Pictured:

Clothing I wear day of:
Comfortable shoes
1 pair of shorts
1 t-shirt
1 hat
Sunglasses

Accessories: 
Folding chair
Snacks (jerky, trail mix, granola bars)
Dinner (stored in a group cooler)
Toiletries (I brought them but didn't show them in this tutorial) 

The Process:

Uncompressed Sleeping Bag
Uncompressed sleeping bag (black) and 15L compression sack (bright green).

Sleeping bag compressed to fit in backpack
Compressed sleeping bag ready to be packed.

Tent Stakes Added to Back Pack
 I add the tent stakes first to the bottom to avoid any tearing and ripping of fabrics.

Putting my Tent Into my Back Pack
Then I squeeze my tent into the lower 10L compartment of my bag on top of the stakes.

Now I put my sleeping bag in through the opening up top. Note that I put in vertically then maneuver it to be horizontal in the bag.

Adding my fishing kit to my pack
I then add my fishing kit and squish it in beside my sleeping bag on the front side of the pack. This gives me a nice flat front to my bag.

Adding clothes to my pack
Next I jam my clothes into the sack on top of the fishing kit and the sleeping bag. *I would recommend a compression sack for all your clothes too. I, unfortunately, didn't purchase one in time for this trip but will in the future.

Bag is nice and sturdy and has a flat front
Here you can see how sturdy this set up is and how flat the front of the bag has become.

Adding flashlight and bungee cords to side pocket
Utilizing the side pockets of my pack, I place my flashlight and a few bungee cords in. I use bungee cords on trips like this because it is quick and easy to set up a clothes line or whatever else you need with no knots.

Adding knives to side pocket of pack
On the opposite side pocket I pack up my fillet knife and utility knife.

Strapping sleeping roll onto front of pack
 Using snaps already on my bag I then attach my sleeping roll to the bottom of my pack. The material of my sleeping roll repels water and would dry the quickest if I were to get caught in rain, hence leaving it on the outside.

Securing tent poles and fishing rod to my pack
 I use the slot for a drink in my bag to be the base to hold up my tent poles and fishing rod. Using some straps already on my bag I just tighten them up to keep the rod and poles secure. 

Attaching my water shoes with a carabiner
Using a carabiner I then attach my water shoes to my pack on a strap that doesn't move too much on the opposite side of my rod and tent poles.

Attaching a PFD via a carabiner
Last but not least I attach my PFD to my bag via a carabiner to a strap near the top. This way the PFD doesn't hang too low when walking.

All packed up and ready to go
My bag is all packed up and I am ready to go canoeing and fishing for a few days. *Note, I forgot to zip up my PFD for this photo, that's why it is hanging awkwardly. 

There we go, I have a full pack that is not too heavy and two free hands to carry my folding chair and most importantly a case of beer! I know the guys that I go on this trip with and can pack according to them and what they bring. That is why I have opted out of most "essential" items. Between you and your group, make a list of who has what and spread the load carried. 

I hope this helps you get an idea of what you would need for a quick excursion into the woods with some buds. If you think I missed anything important or have anything you'd like to say please reach out to me via the comment section below, Twitter or Facebook.

30 comments:

  1. This is such a great article! I never went camping before and I don't know what to pick with me. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really this amazing piece of writing! I just do not ever attended going camping previously not to mention I just are not aware appropriate get by himself. Thanks a lot for the purpose of showing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just admiring your society and questioning how you controlled this weblog so adroitly. Its for that protection extraordinary that I can't have enough money to not go through this fundamental guidance on every occasion I surf the net! article

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, cool publicize. identity in imitation of to jot down with this too taking technology and genuine difficult sham to create a earsplitting article however I put matters off too much and never seem to accumulate started. thank you although. Solar BackPacks

    ReplyDelete
  6. You would not have any desire to live in a camping site with heaps of wild creatures wandering the territory or close to an assaulting lake. Best 8 Person tent

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stuff in this blog is in not only incredible but also providing the great knowledge to the people.
    learn this here now

    ReplyDelete
  8. Talking about tire edges, take a gander at your tire track before you start any trip. The correct profundity of tire track will keep you on the road in the downpour. You're searching for uneven wear designs on either side.Under 21 Car Rental Montreal

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paragliding in Llogara Pass in Albania is an experience beyond words. Not only for the adrenaline but also for the amazing surrounding nature. Albania Adventure

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can snatch data on different top universal tourist goals on the web. There is wide data that is effectively available and you can even locate a decent bundle inside your financial limit helpfully with little research work.council bluffs ia motel

    ReplyDelete
  12. People travel for numerous reasons. Either they serve a professional purpose or they are searching for places in which they can just relax and have fun.buy used campers in Carthage mo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Any time that the company needs to take care of the travel needs of the people in attendance travel agents should be used.cost of a disney vacation

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. Last minute camping holland

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's nothing better than sitting hand-in-hand with your loved one by a roaring campfire. Double camping chairs make outdoor cuddling just that much easier. Available in a few different configurations, their post a double camp chair offers something a single chair can't - the ability to be closer to one another.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you very much for this great post. I read that Post and got it fine and informative. Please share more like that marmot sleeping bag

    ReplyDelete
  17. These among other concerns constitute return policies.  scarpe uomo

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's all very well having an online program pinpoint the best, most sumptuous hotels, best flight times and the like as you carefully work out how canary disstrict condos for sale toronto you plan to explore this great globe of ours, but without proper finances in place, your round the world trip planner technique of choice will fail before you leave your front door.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Travelling allows you to experience the delays and differences of other places in everyday life. vape shop

    ReplyDelete
  20. Airplane motor makes bunches of vibration and stun the stuffed item.dukepackaging.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. So we needed to assemble somewhat preliminary with certain tips and recommendations on the most proficient method to make your mid year excursion or driving get-away as well as can be expected be. Best Western in Kansas city

    ReplyDelete
  22. Spending couple of days would be enough for visiting the Disney world at Orlando. click to read

    ReplyDelete
  23. The assortment of visits working in Australia and New Zealand permits holidaymakers to effortlessly discover an alternative to accommodate their timetable, regardless of whether they're looking for a brief roadtrip or a more extended multi-day trip. nemzetközi áruszállítás Europa-Road Kft.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place.. Zanzibar day trips

    ReplyDelete
  25. I feel happiness to read the content that you are posting.
    Packing list envelopes

    ReplyDelete
  26. The custom boxes are as extraordinary as they are unique and work wonders for businesses Packaging boxes is aiming at creating boxes from extremely biodegradable material. Cardboard box dividers They're taking small stores to local domination, to national level brands to multi-national organization.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You book a voyage, visit or other trip that expects you to pay cash in advance. At some point before the trip, the cash you paid turns into all or in part nonrefundable. tripda.in

    ReplyDelete
  28. Remember the marketing materials for traditional summer camps are designed to make you want to send your child there! Camping Legends

    ReplyDelete
  29. You book a journey, visit or other trip that expects you to pay cash in advance. At some point before the trip, the cash you paid turns into all or halfway nonrefundable. https://jobs.shrm.org/profile/when-do-i-need-asbestos-removal/1570148/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fish off the shores of Canoe Lake or go out on the water in one of our rental boats. The lake is swarming with large torphy Pike and Walleye. Use your own favourite rod and tackle from home, or purchase all your needed supplies from our Lodge on site.Release your catch back into the waters for the next angler, or take your fish back to camp for a fresh meal.The fish are biting

    ReplyDelete